29 Sep Caramelized Kabocha Squash
Posted at 13:55h in Recipes
Caramelized Kabocha Squash
Recipe by Pieter Dijkstra, Chef de Cuisine at A Spice of Life
Photo By Povy Kendal Atchison
- 1 pound Kabocha squash, peeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Cut squash into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, discard seeds, and slice each round into two strips.
- Mix together salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter, and place squash in the pan in a single layer. Lightly sprinkle seasoning mixture on squash. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, and remove squash from pan. Repeat with remaining squash. When finished cooking squash, melt remaining butter in pan.
- Preheat broiler and move a rack to the top slot.
- In an ovenproof serving dish, layer squash like shingles on a roof. Drizzle melted butter over squash, and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Broil until sugar has melted, 5 to 10 minutes.